Component vs. Cartridge Mechanical Seals
Mechanical seals are primarily used across various industries. Since every industry has a different product and manufacturing process, the pumps used are entirely different. Hence, the manufacturers offer different categories of seals that are appropriate for specific functions.
Two widely used mechanical seals types are components and cartridges. Both are different in many ways, and hence, it becomes essential to understand them in detail.
This kind of mechanical seal comes assembled in advance from the manufacturer. It is enclosed entirely and is made of a sleeve, gland, and hardware. Some key benefits of these seals are:
- It can be easily installed without professional support.
- Secured and high efficiency because of pre-fabricated settings.
- Least performance issues due to no axial disengagement at all.
- Elimination of dirt and other external debris due to complete seal.
- Lower installation charges and maintenance costs.
- Simple to repair in case of any problem.
- Reduced requirement for customized shafts leading to reduced costs.
- Transportation is easy since one part as a whole is delivered from manufacturer to customer.
These seals comprise distinct static and dynamic components. The components being different, expert technicians are required for installation. In case some disengagement occurs between axial settings, shaft, O-rings, seal faces, it will directly impact the seal shelf-life or, in some instances, immediate failure of the system. Here are some benefits:
- These seals cost less than cartridge-type seals, making it a good deal in a limited-budget scenario.
- In case of failure, one part that has gone bad can be changed, rather than changing the complete seal.
- Component seals are ideal for small pumps.
- In the case of customization, component seals are more flexible since all the parts can be combined and designed according to needs. Thus, if quick customization is expected from the manufacturer, component seals have the edge over the cartridge.
Moving Forward: Which Seal is Apt?
When choosing a seal type, one should consider installation cost, operating costs, pump characteristics, and operational environments over the period. Pressure, vibration, heat, etc., are some major conditions that should be considered when installing a pump seal as one wrong decision can lead to business, time, and monetary loss.
In industries where pumps have a vital role, it is advisable to have a skilled technician on board for regular monitoring and regular maintenance to avoid big losses in case of system failure.
Leak-Pack is ISO 9001:2008 certified company and one of the best mechanical seals exporters, manufacturers and suppliers in India, providing solutions to all types of leakages by manufacturing Mechanical Seals and Sealing Components as per customer’s drawings, samples or requirements. To know more about Mechanical Seal call on +91-(2739) 271592 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.